Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Family reading interview

From The Reading Zone blog by Sarah, a 6th grade (intermediate school level) Language Arts teacher "who strives to instill a love of reading and writing in her students."

Here is a recent post about an activity she did with her students :

"Last week I decided to add a new assignment to my “Getting to Know Ourselves as Readers” unit in reading workshop. I paged through a few of my resources looking for inspiration. While flipping through Beyond Leveled Books, Second Edition I came across the family reading interview. I took the idea and ran with it!

I adjusted the questions to fit my students/grade level and was very happy with the results. Students were required to interview one member of their family (high school senior or older) about their reading experiences. They asked about the genres they enjoyed, genres they don’t enjoy, how they choose books, and favorite childhood reads. The students were then required to put all the answers into paragraph form, with their own commentary, forming an essay. I was looking forward to reading some interesting interviews when I collected them today...."

Read more http://thereadingzone.wordpress.com/2009/10/05/value-of-a-family-reading-interview/


Check out the Blogroll listed on the left hand side for a wonderful collection of blogs around teaching, reading and children's literature...

No comments:

Post a Comment