Friday, November 19, 2010

Teaching about genres

Here are a few suggestions shared on LM_NET re teaching about genre:
  • Depending on how many times a week you have them, you could do a "think, pair, share" activity. Split them into groups of two or three according to genre, I would place the higher readers on fairy tales/legends/folk tales and non-fiction text. They could create a poster on that particular genre with drawn, or printed examples of that type of text, and also telling their classmates the overall objective, and characteristics of each type of text (i.e. fairytales teach a lesson, generally use magic, etc.) Then they come together to discuss the genre and their poster. Of course they will need some background info, but they should be learning genres as early as 1st grade, so this shouldn't be all new. Prob. Biography, poetry and legends will be new to them.
  • There was a lesson in Library Sparks on genres which pulled in simple picture books to teach the genre....I use some of the ideas with fourth grade...they love it and "get it" better doing it that way....look through the archives of Library Sparks...I think it was last year................
  • My tiny hint is that when I first intro the word to them I tell them genre is a french word so it's pronounced a little different. Then I write John Ruh next to it. Perhaps after introducing the basic genres, you could have them go to 4-5 tables, each one of which would have a certain genre of books and ask them to guess which table has which genre of books. They'd have a paper numbered Table 1- 5 on which to write their guesses. No talking or sharing answers! See who gets them all right and give them each an extra book to check out.
  • I just got a book last week Joe and the Genre Dudes. The only book I have seen that addresses genre, and the kids loved it! Read the Library Mouse by Daniel Kirk to her class... It is a great read aloud and it talks about all the different types of genres, mystery, fiction story, autobiography, etc... Then the kids could create their own little books!
  • I teach Genres to my 2nd graders. I tell them that genres help them find similar books. Each week I discuss a different Genre & what makes it fit in that category. I point them out in the library or pull a table full for examples. We are making a 'genre tree' in the hall where they can write the name of their book on a leaf with their name & put it on the tree. I will add a branch each time we learn about another genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment