Monday, November 8, 2010

Y.A author Michael Grant

From Beattie's Book Blog : Sunday Nov 7 2010 http://www.beattiesbookblog.blogspot.com/
This is just the most amazing rich, prolific, focused, interesting blog about books ! I've just added Gone to my pile of books to read and so this bio caught my eye...

Michael Grant (left) is the author of the current best-selling Young Adult series, Gone, the story of a society where anyone aged 15 or older has disappeared. There are three books in the series, #1 Gone; #2 Hunger and #3 Lies, with another three to come.

In his own words:
Mostly I write. Type type type. With two fingers. I sit on my porch drinking coffee and smoking a cigar and type type type. Sometimes I go to a coffee shop and type type type. Occasionally when I get really excited about what I'm writing I can engage a third finger.

Hmmm. That's boring, isn't it? So. Okay. I'm sitting on my porch type type typing when a car pulls onto my street. I don't recognize the car and the driver is in shadow, but something about the tilt of his head, his silhouette . . . I'm over the railing, spilling coffee and MacBook before he can squeeze the trigger. I hit the dirt as the bullet hits the railing. But that was my one trick used up. Now I'm flat on my back with no cover but a shrub and he has plenty of bullets, a clear sightline and nothing but time.

I've published 150 kid books under 11 different names. These include (with my lovely wife, K.A. Applegate,) the ANIMORPHS series, EVERWORLD, BOYFRIENDS/GIRLFRIENDS, and even, early on, back in the so-poor-we'd-write-anything days, SWEET VALLEY TWINS. My career runs from Jessica Wakefield's first period, to crazy fights between Bengal tigers and razor-covered aliens.

I retired from writing for a couple years, did some other things, including producing documentaries. Now I'm back writing. (insert shameless plug here) I have a six book series called GONE.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeannie

    I have long been a fan of Beattie's blog. It is wonderful even if you have to devote a hour or two a day to read it!

    Also "Gone" series. Has been really popular at WBHS.

    ReplyDelete