Monday, August 9, 2010

Mockingjay on its way...

For those eagerly awaiting the third installment in the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, here is an interesting interview with her in the meantime, from School Library Journal Executive Editor Rick Margolis

http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/slj/home/885800-312/the_last_battle_with_mockingjay.html.csp

In it, the author talks about her character Katniss, the origins of the bird of the title - mockingjay, links to stories from ancient Greece - Theseus and Spartacus, and the how and why of war as a theme in her writing...

From the interview :

What do you hope young readers take away from your books?

One of the reasons it’s important for me to write about war is I really think that the concept of war, the specifics of war, the nature of war, the ethical ambiguities of war are introduced too late to children. I think they can hear them, understand them, know about them, at a much younger age without being scared to death by the stories. It’s not comfortable for us to talk about, so we generally don’t talk about these issues with our kids. But I feel that if the whole concept of war were introduced to kids at an earlier age, we would have better dialogues going on about it, and we would have a fuller understanding.

Can those dialogues help put an end to war?

Eventually, you hope. Obviously, we’re not in a position at the moment for the eradication of war to seem like anything but a far-off dream. But at one time, the eradication of slave markets in the United States seemed very far off. I mean, people have to begin somewhere. We can change. We can evolve as a species. It’s not simple, and it’s a very long and drawn-out process, but you can hope.

2 comments:

  1. I just can't wait to read "Mockingjay"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a group of boys who ask for Mockingjay every morning when I come in to work. They are desperate (as am I, and members of my household) been a long time since I was so keen to get hold of the third in a series, oh except for Monsters of Men of course.

    ReplyDelete