Friday, November 13, 2009

School book clubs - and EPIC

There has been a bit of discussion about book clubs on the school library listserv recently - if you have missed it, email me jeannie.skinner@natlib.govt.nz and I can send you a collation of the various suggestions shared by people.

I checked out EPIC and came across this article too - if you haven't been into EPIC, here is a good pretext to have a go - log in through TKI http://www.tki.org.nz/r/epic/ and your school password (give me a call if you are stuck at this stage !) then go to Masterfile Premier and search for this article - full text, from Teacher Librarian... "Users may print, download, or email articles for individual use."

How I learned to run a really popular book club (and what I learned about its effect on students' reading skills and attitude).
Authors:Hall, Suzanne
Source:Teacher Librarian; Oct 2007, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p32-36, 5p, 2 color
Document Type:Article
Subject Terms:BOOK clubs (Discussion groups)
GROUP reading
CLUBS
READING
STUDENTS
BOOKS & reading
If you get stuck, get in touch and we'll talk through it.
EPIC is a great resource - use it or lose it !

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jeannie - Should I have been able to pick up EPIC by clicking on the link in your article or should I copy and paste it in the browser? Clicking gave me a message no such page - but I don't know the school password anyway - Do we have one for Te Tii?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine - I have corrected the link so now if you click on it you will be taken to the EPIC homepage on TKI. The info to Register is there on the orange right hand column - click on that and follow the directions to register - you'll be sent a letter for the Principal to sign and then you'll be sent your school password... Once registered, you can log into EPIC, go to the Masterfile database and search for the article... I can email the article to you if you like but it would be great to get the school sorted to get onto EPIC :) Give me a call if you'd like any help...

    ReplyDelete