Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What is a schwa ?

I've just finished reading The Schwa was here by Neal Shusterman and highly recommend it. This book has humour, memorable characters, mystery, friendship and poignancy, and I think it would make a great read-aloud for intermediate / secondary.

On the dust jacket, Neal tells "The idea came in the middle an author visit. I was answering questions in a school library when a teacher pointed out a boy who had had his hand up the whole time, and I hadn't noticed. He was sitting in front of the library's big dictionary, and I made this odd connection : the kid was unnoticeable - like the 'schwa' in the dictionary."

Here is a link to Amazon for reviews http://www.amazon.com/Schwa-was-Here-Neal-Shusterman/dp/0142405779
The School Library Journal review likens the writing to E L Konigsburg (one of my very favourites) and Jerry Spinelli, and that is exactly who came to my mind when reading it too.

Go to Bill Cassellman's Words of the world website to read more about the schwa...

No comments:

Post a Comment